I totally didn’t invent this BUT I’ve also never heard of it until I randomly decided to combine granola with espresso and make a dark chocolate-y caffeinated morning snack.
I LOVE dark chocolate, I LOVE coffee flavor, and I love granola in the morning. It works.
I’m not a fan of getting granola from the store, and here’s why.
Obviously it tastes good and sometimes I will, BUT I like being in control of how much sugar goes into it. The reason it tastes so good store-bought is because they don’t necessarily limit refined sugars as much as they should, even organic or different sugar sources are a little too much for me if it’s more than a pinch.
We don’t want you to have a sugar rush in the morning… because it leads right to a crash. SO. I make my own.
And (when I’m not burning it), everyone nearby thinks I’m baking dessert or something delicious and indulgent. So get ready for the best smelling kitchen in the game, my friends.
Here’s what you need:
- 1 1/2 cups uncooked oats
- 2 tbsp ground flax seeds
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 1/2 tbsp cinnamon
- 1 tbsp melted vegan butter or coconut oil
- 1/4 cup almonds, chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped dark chocolate covered espresso beans, OR 1/8 cup chopped espresso beans + 1/8 cup dark chocolate
Here’s what to do:
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a bowl, mix the oats, flax seeds, brown sugar, cinnamon, melted butter/coconut oil
- When the oven is ready, spread this mixture evenly on a baking pan and bake for 20 minutes mixing halfway through, OR until the granola is as crunchy as you want it to be. Watch it every few minutes to avoid burning.
- When the granola is done, remove it from the oven and place it back into your mixing bowl.
- Here’s when you add the espresso beans, dark chocolate almonds. If you add them while the granola is hot, the dark chocolate melts nicely and evenly allll over. yum.
- Store in a cool dry place and eat throughout the rest of the week. On smoothie bowls, in cereal, by itself, with a little almond milk.
Don’t burn this, guys. This temp + baking time is ideal for me, but you have to watch it carefully the first time you make this or when you switch up the temp. Some people like baking it for longer at a lower temperature, so just be careful.
With that said, this granola is BOMB. COM.
My favorite thing lately is putting making my PB Banana Smoothie a little thicker than usual so it’s a bowl, and then putting this granola on top. Sigh.
Enjoy, PLZ tag me in your pics making this so that I can get new inspo and know you guys liked the recipe! Hope you love it as much as I do.
You might luv: